Situated in the heart of the city, the fine arts museum is one of the largest regional museums in France.
The collection of ancient paintings come from the Northern schools (Van Haarlem, Rubens, Van Moi, Grebber, etc….), the Italian school, which is less consistent, but of very high quality (Bartolo di Fredi, Dell’Abate, Reni, Solimena,etc….) and the French school, particularly active in the 18th and 19th centuries (Boucher, Fragonard, Robert, Meynier, Chassériau, Corot, Boudin, etc…)
The Breton inspired paintings (Luminais, Breton, Gudin, Leleux, Dargent, Guillou, etc…) are highlights of the Breton collection and among the museum’s treasures are works from the Pont-Aven school (Gauguin, Bernard, Sérusier, Maufra, Moret, etc...). The collection is completed by works from the 20th century, from Malik, Mehboob, Simon and Vallotton to Tal-Coat, Asse, Maneissier and Dilasser.
Homage is also paid to Max Jacob, born in Quimper and a regular visitor to the city, whose life is illustrated by drawings, gouaches, sculptures and documents (Picasso, Cocteau, Laurens, etc.), as well as works by his friends, Moulin, de Belay, Caveng and Leonardi.
The museum regularly organises temporary exhibitions and guided tours (general or themed) as well as children’s workshops during the holidays. A programme is available at the Museum or by mail.
A little bit of history
The extensive renovation and extension project carried out from 1991 to 1993 by the architect Jean-Paul Philippon resulted in the restoration of the dining room at the Hôtel de L’Epée, originally created by Lemordant between 1905 and 1909.
The Museum was created in 1864 as a result of the legacy of a important collection of paintings and drawings by Count Jean-Marie Silguy, created in his hometown, Quimper. The unique requirement of the patron, himself the owner of a very large collection of paintings and drawings, was that a museum be built to house them.
Built from the plans of the architect Joseph Bigot, the Museum opened in 1872. Over the years the collection has been enriched by donations, bequests, purchases and loans.
- September-October and April, May, June: from 9:30am to 12pm and from 2pm to 6pm every day except Tuesdays.
- From November to March: from 9:30am to to 12pm and from 2pm to 5:30pm every day except Tuesdays and Sunday mornings.
- July-August: open every day from 10am to 6pm.
Closed on: May 1st, November 1st and 11th, December 25th and January 1st
- Full price: 5 €
- Reduced price: 2.50 € for young people and students under 26 years old.
- Free for: under 12s, job seekers, art students, Friends of the Museum. Free on Sunday afternoons between November 1st and March 31st
- Quimper Pass: 10 €.
The city offers a discount pass which is valid for up to two people for one year, with a choice of up to four museum visits, including the Musée des Beaux Arts, the Breton Museum, the Quartier centre for contemporary art, the HB Henriot stoneware factory and a guided tour of Quimper’s heritage.
Visits and lectures:
Visits to temporary exhibitions, permanent collections, museum lectures and tandem visits with the Quartier centre
- Full price: 6.50 €
- Reduced price (under 12s, job seekers, art students, Friends of the Museum) : 3.50 €
Minimum 15 people. By reservation only.
Solo tours: 2.50 € pp
Guided tours: 5.70 € pp.
The museum offers personalised tours of its collections and temporary exhibitions, accompanied by a registered guide-lecturer. Commentary is available in French, Breton, English, German, Spanish and Italian. Tours last 1h30m.
Quimper Fine Arts Museum
40 place Saint-Corentin
Tel. 02 98 95 45 20
fax. 02 98 95 87 50